Elton has sold more than 250 million records, making him one of the most successful artists of all time.
Birth name: Reginald Kenneth Dwight (name change occurred in 1972)
Born: 25th March 1947
Place of birth: Middlesex, UK
- His single 'Candle in the Wind' (1997) has sold over 33 million copies, making it the biggest selling single of all time.
- Other UK number 1 singles include 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart', 'Sacrifice' and 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word'.
- He has won five Grammy awards, an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award and a Tony Award.
- He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1994.
- In 1976 he became the Chairman and Director of his beloved Watford Football Club.
- He has composed the music for several West End theatre productions including 'The Lion King' and 'Billy Elliot'.
- He has been heavily involved in the fight against AIDS since the late 1980s and in 1992 founded the Elton John AIDS Foundation.
- In 1996 he was made Commander of the Order of the British Empire and in 1998 received knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II.
- In 2003 he signed an exclusive agreement with Caesars Palace, Las Vegas to perform 75 shows over 3 years, called 'The Red Piano'.
- In 2004, Rolling Stone ranked him Number 49 on its list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.
The Big Elton John Knowledge Quiz
Are You Ready For Love
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
Sad Songs (Say So Much)
Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Elton John & Kiki Dee