Wolverhampton teen convicted of trying to import deadly explosives from dark web

8 November 2017, 11:23

A teenager who tried to import deadly explosives from the dark web is facing jail after being caught out by an undercover sting.

Gurtej Randhawa, 19, was arrested in May after he took delivery of a package he thought was a remote-detonated explosive, but an intervention by the National Crime Agency saw officers replace it with an inert dummy device.

It was delivered to the address provided by Randhawa and officers watched him testing it before moving in to arrest him on suspicion of "attempting to possess an explosive substance with intent to cause an explosion likely to endanger life".

Two women - aged 45 and 18 - were arrested at the same time but were released with no further action.

The NCA has said the investigation was not linked to terrorism.

At Birmingham Crown Court on Wednesday, Randhawa, of Grove Lane in Wightwick, Wolverhampton, was found guilty of maliciously possessing an explosive substance with intent to endanger life or cause serious injury.

He had previously pleaded guilty to attempting to import explosives and has been remanded in custody to be sentenced on 12 January.

Tim Gregory, from the NCA, said: "The explosive device Randhawa sought to purchase online had the potential to cause serious damage and kill many people if he had been successful in using it.

"He was not involved in an organised crime group or linked to terrorism, but is clearly an individual who poses a significant risk to the community.

"Identifying people like Randhawa - who seek to access illegal firearms and weapons - is a priority for the NCA and we will not stop in our efforts to make sure they are arrested and held accountable for their actions."