Rugby League star Scott Moore jailed after high speed chase and police assaults

6 March 2018, 21:48

A Rugby League star who was tasered six times after a 150mph car chase has been jailed.

Scott Moore was repeatedly hit with a 50,000-volt stun gun but got back to his feet to charge at police, Bolton Crown Court heard.

The 30-year-old, who became the youngest ever Super League player when he played for St Helens aged just 16, fought off officers who struggled to arrest him for 50 minutes.

At one point, an officer had him in a headlock and delivered a stun directly to his body but Moore was still able to fight them off.

He grabbed the wires from the Taser, which had been deployed, and ripped them from his body.

Moore then managed to grab the weapon, pointing it in the face of one officer, and shouted: "You're getting it now!"

The terrified officer fought with Moore to release it from his hand and another officer struck him numerous times.

He eventually dropped the Taser and following a further struggle was finally detained.

Moore, of Lowton, Greater Manchester, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and three counts of assault.

He was jailed for one year and 11 months on Tuesday and disqualified from driving for two years.

Moore earned two England caps during a career which included stints with Castleford Tigers, Huddersfield Giants and the London Broncos.

He last played for the Bradford Bulls before being released at the end of last season.

Police dashcam footage captured Moore's black Mercedes overtaking a lorry at around 100mph on a stretch of roadworks near Boothstown where the speed limit was 30mph.

He continued to accelerate at speeds of more than 150mph before speeding into a housing estate in Leigh and colliding with the wall of a house.

The pursuit in the early hours of 15 October 2016 continued until it reached a dead end.

As one officer went to arrest the suspect, Moore elbowed him and he ran off.

Officers caught up with Moore but he resisted arrest for almost an hour, fighting them off until they were eventually able to handcuff him.

Detective Constable Lynsey Watson-Perry said: "In all their careers, the officers at the scene had never been so scared nor witnessed such a violent individual that had so much strength to fight.

"Moore knew exactly what he was doing, using his size and experience on the rugby field to evade officers in a desperate struggle that threatened both the safety of officers and innocent members of the public."