The Stones formed in 1962, named themselves after a Muddy Waters song and went on to take blues-rock to the world.
Current Band Members:
- Mick Jagger (vocals, harmonica)
- Keith Richards (guitar)
- Charlie Watts (drums)
- Ronnie Wood (guitar)
- Brian Jones (guitar, harmonica)
- Bill Wyman (bass guitar)
- Ian Stewart (piano)
- The band formed in 1962, initially rehearsing in an upstairs room at The Bricklayers Arms in Soho.
- They notched up eight UK number one singles in the 1960s.
- Their iconic status has been confirmed ever since - in 2010 the Post Office made the cover of the Let It Bleed album into a commemorative stamp.
- With around 200 million album sales, the Rolling Stones are ranked as being in the Top Ten of the greatest bands of all time.
- The band won the 'Best Rock Album' Grammy in 1994 for 'Voodoo Lounge'.
- They were inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in 1989.
- Their number 1 hits include It's All Over Now, The Last Time and Satisfaction.
- Their number 1 albums include their debut 'The Rolling Stones', Aftermath, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed.
- In 2005 they won a World Music Award for the World's Greatest Touring Band of All Time...
- They went on their first tour in 1963 and have been active ever since.
- In the 2000's they played 264 shows, earning over £670 million, and making them Billboard's top touring act of the decade.